The Personal Support Worker (PSW) diploma training program at National Academy of Health and Business was developed in collaboration with the provincial government improve the state of long-term healthcare and provide more healthcare support to the elderly and the disabled.
This program consolidates the Health Care Aide Training, Home Support Worker Training (levels I, II and III), Attendant Care Training and Respite Worker Training into one single comprehensive training program.
The Personal Support Worker provides personal care for the comfort and safety of their clients and helps to create an environment of physical, emotional and social well being. They also assist in maintaining patient independence. These techniques and skills are developed through a mix of theoretical classroom learning and practical “hands-on” training, which provides the knowledge and confidence needed to step right into the workplace upon graduation.
The Personal Support Worker Diploma Course Concentration:
The Personal Support Worker Diploma program prepares students for careers in a wide range of healthcare positions, facilities and settings. The modules of study in the program include:
- Individuality of the Patient (each patient has different needs)
- Role of the Personal Support Worker
- Development of Interpersonal Skills
- Safety Standards
- Assisting a Person with Mobility
- Abuse Recognition and Required Action
- Household Management and Meal Preparation
- Optimal Support Requirements
- Care Planning
- Personal Hygiene Assistance
- Assisting the Family/Coping Mechanisms
- Cognitive Impairment and Mental Health Issues
- Assisting the Client in Managing their Ongoing Condition
- Medication Assistance/Administering and Educating
- Assisting the Client Who is Dying
- Practicalities of Daily Living, Use of Specific Support Devices
- Diagnostic and Treatment Procedures
- Job Search and Placement Assistance
- Arranged Nursing Home Placement and a Community Placement
- National Certification
- CPR / First Aid (included)
The Personal Support Worker Diploma program is 26 weeks long and includes a 14-week job placement.
Personal Support Worker Program Funding Options
Students who choose the Personal Support Worker program are eligible for up to five different funding options, including the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), Employment Insurance, Second Career Payment Plans and even loans facilitated by us.